Danny and I went back and forth about registering Lynden for French Immersion or sticking to English.
There's a lot more perks to being in French Immersion but we were worried about us not speaking any french, about hearing about how a lot of French Immersion students have a hard time with basic English skills (granted, I think most of us aren't grammatically correct 90% of the time), and how Lynden would adjust to it.
Another issue we had was with our move we change catchment areas for our French Immersion school, which is beyond ridiculous since the one that's not in our area is 1.5 blocks from our house and the school we could get into is 14 blocks from our house. The school in our area does not have the best reputation. While talking to many different people I heard nothing good about our catchment school - it's over populated, in a not-so-great-area, and has a lot of problem children.
The Friday before French Immersion registration started I asked Danny, for the umpteenth time, what direction he was leaning.
We didn't leave it until the last minute at all.
After more discussion we decided to put our name on the French Immersion waiting list for our desired school (the one next to our new place) at our catchment school (you have to register there). We were expecting a waiting list at our catchment school since I was not willing to camp out the night before.
Registration day I headed to the school 2 hours after registration started. When I arrived there was no line up, not even another parent registering their child, so I was quite shocked when I was told there were still spots left and we were guaranteed a spot (at our undesired school).
After speaking to the administrator I enrolled him (listing the other school as our #1 pick; we're on the waiting list but I'm not holding my breath for this year).
So, Lynden is enrolled in French Immersion. We will do Kindergarten at our catchment school and come next spring we can put in a transfer request for Grade 1, at which point there are more classes and we will most likely get in.
It will be so much nicer being able to walk to and from his school every day than having to a) take public transit every day, twice a day or b) having to buy a second car in a rush (we want to find the right vehicle for us this time).
That's how we decided on French Immersion; basically left it up to the universe. If he was suppose to get in he would. If we didn't we would have happily enrolled him in English (at the other school within 2 blocks from out new place).