Friday, January 11, 2013

Pinteresting Recipes #5: Dinners

Here are some more reviews on recipes I've pinned. 



Another not great recipe (Lynden hated the squash).  I think it's way too much squash, not enough bacon, and don't use it as a topping; mix it in.  The flavours were overpowered by the squash (hence the too much squash) so you lost the pasta amongst it.  I doubt we'll try this one again. 





Baked sweet and sour chicken
Pinned Image
I was looking forward to trying this since Lynden is all about Chinese Food these days.  It was pretty good.  The kids and Danny enjoyed it.  I felt it was missing pineapple and Danny thought it was too sweet (it does call for a lot of sugar).  I think this one could end up a keeper if I can tweak it to satisfy everyone. 

I made the fried rice at the end of the recipe to go with it and it was a HIT. 



Slow Cooker Bacon-Wrapped Apple BBQ Chicken

Pinned ImageI wasn't thrilled with it, which is shocking since it's a Six Sisters recipe.  If you haven't checked out their blog you are missing out.  95% of the time I see someone wonderful on Pinterest (food related) it's from them. 

Back to the recipe: wasn't thrilled.  The bacon wasn't crispy (I prefer crispy bacon, not that I say no to bacon...ever!) and I think it would have been better if it had been.  The BBQ and apple combo was nice but not strong enough for a slow cooker meal. 

I will say this, it comes out looking Exactly like the picture, which was a nice change.  If we try this one again I think I am going to do it in the oven instead. 


Pinned ImageCrock Pot Pizza Casserole

Again, wasn't thrilled with it.  But... I didn't make it in the slow cooker, and I am not sure how it would do in a slow cooker since it only calls for 3 hours on low.  If I started it before I left for work it would have been on warm for twice as long as it cooked. 

I also did not have pizza pepperoni - I don't know if it affected the flavour or not.  It wasn't enough tomato paste; I think pizza sauce would have been better.  I don't think this will get a second shot. 


Pinned ImageHoney Apple Pork Roast

Made this on a Sunday, which are my go-to-slow-cooker-days (since Danny and I both work until 6) and it was pretty good.  I liked that the roast didn't just fall apart once it was cooked (that's the only thing I don't like about slow cooker roasts, I want slices of roast not a pile of shredded meat) and the apples were a nice compliment to it. 

Next time I'm going to add some potatoes and carrots to the pot to make it a true one dish meal. 




Pinned ImageChicken with Black Beans and Rice

This was good (another one that comes out looking like the picture).  Good flavour and an easy one dish meal.  It was a bit small for us, so next time I might serve with some additional veggies or salad.  You can always change up the seasoning. 





Caribbean Dump Chicken

I am really liking the dump chicken recipes, but this one wasn't as nice as the last one. Every now and again you'd get a great bite it would be followed up by a plain one. I don't think it's so much the recipe but the fact that I didn't let it marinade. If you try any recipe from this site and don't freeze it I recommend prepping it the night before and letting it soak in the flavours.



Pinned ImageGarlic Lemon Pork Chops with Mushrooms and Onions

This recipe gets points for being something different than the every day pork chops and it took no time to make.  However, both Danny and I felt it was too much lemon.  If we make it again I'll leave out some of the lemon and see if it makes it better. 







No sweet recipes this time around.  With the holidays I stuck to my go to recipes (not that they worked well for me).  I've got a few I've got my eye on to try over the next bit. 

{On another note: I'll be getting back to posting new stuff next week}

No comments:

Post a Comment