Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sorry Lynden

As parents we all tell little white lies.  We, in theory, do it to allow our children be children and believe in unbelievable things Santa Easter Bunny Tooth Fairy

At some point the truth about things come out and some kids get upset and some understand.  I'm really hoping Lynden is going to be the more understanding type. 

I mean I do Elf on a Shelf, that's a pretty involved fib.  I hope that he sees that I wanted to create the same holiday magic I had while growing up. 

I have a feeling that's not going to be the one to upset him.

How many people cringe when they hear the ice cream truck coming?  The kids get so excited you think they might pee themselves and when you have to say no, because the ice cream man came 10 minutes before dinner and you don't have any cash on you, you feel like the worst parent in the world. 

Well, a few summers ago, around the time Lynden discovered that ice cream is pretty awesome, the ice cream truck pulled into our complex.  Not wanting to have to tell him no I got all excited and said "Look Lynden, it's the music truck".

Me = liar, liar, pants on fire!

He's never questioned it.  Even when the ice cream truck rolled down our street last week Lynden called "The music truck is coming!", ran to the window and watched it drive past our house. 

Seriously, how mad is he going to be when he learns he's been missing out on ice cream?

More importantly, how long will I have to buy over priced ice cream to make up for all the years of lying?

14 comments:

  1. I so wish I would have thought of this the first time it happened because we go into major meltdown mode every time he drives by and I say no!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! I cringe everytime I hear the ice cream truck, crossing my fingers that he doesn't come down our street.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog! It's nice to "meet" you via the Mom's Monday Mingle!
    Rhiannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh my! Too funny! And I hear ya.. I hate lying but dang sometimes its for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, coming over from the Moms' Monday Mingling! Ha! We've told lies to our eldest son too...now that he has caught on, he protects his younger bro from our 'lies' by letting him know the truth!! Funny..I also wrote about lying today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he'll do the same thing when we try to convince his little sister it's not an ice cream truck

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, this is hilarious. I love it! I am totally going to try the same thing. The music truck is coming...now that is funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great and funny post. I found you through Crazy Mama's fun blog hop. I linked in a post about an artist that specialized in painting horses. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're not alone in the "liar, liar, pants on fire" club! One of the longest-running misleading comments I've made to my kids is "you liked it the last time you had it". Great post!

    ReplyDelete