Wednesday, June 6, 2012

18 Month Woes

As Alyssa nears her 18 month mark I'm finding myself worried about all the milestones she's due to be hitting.  I remember having some of these concerns with Lynden and I keep telling myself he's exactly where he's suppose to be so I need to stop worrying.

If only that worked.

The big concern I have is her words.  I know 95% of the parents out there are concerned about their toddlers speech and I know that I really shouldn't be worked up over it.

But I am.

I feel like she should be making more sounds than she is.  She says "ba", "ma", and "da".  No "oo" sounds, no "g" sounds, no "p" sounds.  Everything is "dadadada", "bababababa", or "mamamama".  Occasionally I'll get s quick "mo" sound meaning more, but she signs it so she doesn't need to say it. 

And she's singing, a song we know, which is something Lynden didn't do at this stage.  (She sings our alphabet song; well just the "baby, baby, ba, ba, ba").

I find she's finding it easier to copy tones and pitches than actual words.  She can mimic "thank you" with her "ba" sounds by using the same pitch I use, same when she says things like "grandpa" and "bubbles".  I just wish she was using more sounds than she is. 

I remember Lynden didn't say much at this point and by 18 months was saying his 15-18 words, so I keep telling myself that I'll wait it out for the next month and worry then.


However, I do feel Alyssa's communication skills are better than Lynden's were at this point.  She's excellent at letting you know what she wants.  She tells us when she wants her bum changed, when she's hungry, wants a drink, is tired, wants to go outside, just to name a few.

I also feel she understands more than Lynden did at this point.  She understands when you tell her it's bed time, time to brush her teeth, where to put dirty clothes versus dirty diapers, and when it's bathtime.  She knows what to do when you say "on your bum" or "don't touch" or "where's a toy", "down", "up", "kisses", "hugs", and who certain people are. 

I'm also not ready for my baby to become a toddler. 

I'm not ready for the independence (as much as an 18 month old can have).  We're already started the "hold hands or up" when we're out.  She's even trying to do harder things on her own, like climbing (onto our table, which is bar height) and trying to figure out how to put her socks and shoes on. 

With independence comes attitude, which is very quickly followed  by "no" - hey, that might be her first real "o" sound.  As much as I "enjoyed" Lynden's no stage I'm not ready to go into it again, especially since Alyssa is much more head strong than her brother. 

I've started to notice more of a possessive aggression with her.  If Lynden wants a toy she has she's clingy and whiney.  At the park a few weeks ago there was another little boy who wanted to play with the steering wheel.  Anytime he went near it she would run up to it, hit it, and make a loud noise. 

Some of that I have to think is learned from someone who doesn't like to share his toys and as much as we encourage sharing it's not always received with open ears. 

I have just over a month left until my baby girl enters toddler-hood and I'm just not ready. 

My stylish girl
chillin' at the park
enjoying the slide

rockin' the pig tails

enjoying the water park



18 comments:

  1. sounds like she's doing wonderfully. :) all kids develop different and worrying will not change a thing. just enjoy this stage for what it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! That's what I keep telling myself. I wouldn't be surprised if she woke up one day and started saying more words like it was nothing (I just wish and hope it'll be tomorrow ;o)

      Delete
  2. Oh man that girl is cute! I wouldn't worry at all... from what my doctors have always told us, she doesn't sound behind at all! My two-year-old just started talking in full, clear sentences this month!

    So glad you came by my blog and I'd love to post in August (although I've never done it before - scary!)! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the back of my mind I know she's okay (the part I left out of this was when she was about a month she had a tonka truck rammed into her soft spot at full force and I'm worried something might have been damaged).

      Awesome Cassie!! You can email me at bluepens_30{at}hotmail{dot}com. I'm open to whatever you want to post about (although I do LOVE your revamps your doing).

      Delete
  3. She is adorable! All kids learn different things at different times. My daughter just learned to sing at like nearly 3 years old. My brother was a very late talker but he grew up to be extremely smart. He got a scholarship into a gifted middle school and scored in the top 5% on high school tests. I know as a mother, you can't help but worry though. That's just what we do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm So glad you wrote this post. I find myself already wonder worrying about my daughter speech, and we still have a ways to go until she's 18 months. So glad to know this is all normal worries!

    She is a beautiful little girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why there's so much pressure at 18 months but it just feels like so much. Glad to hear I'm not the only worried parent

      Delete
  5. Our little boy also copies tones and pitches rather than talking! Instead of bye-bye, he'll say ah-ahh in the same tone I say it. I thought it was cute until I read recently that a baby should be saying at least one word other than mama and dada by 15 months. Our little guy is 14 months and doesn't say mama or anything but dada. I'm choosing not to worry because he seems so normal otherwise. Your baby girl is beautiful and as long as she's communicating with you (as it sounds like she is doing quite well) she's just fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My son was like that too, he wouldn't say "mama", he'd say "mmmmmmmdada" or just "no" when we asked him to say "mama"

      Delete
  6. I love 18 months. I always thought that was a fun age. My youngest was similar to your little girl. She was a fabulous non-verbal communicator. She is 4 and is in speech therapy, but she's doing well even if a little behind the curve. Everything will be fine. Your daughter is precious!
    I found you at the TGIF Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This brings back memories! The teen diva is 16 and my son is now 11. Thanks for sharing it! Stopping by from Hop Along Friday and glad to have found you. Following via Pinterest and GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine my kids at that age, even thoough I know it's going to happen. Happily following back

      Delete
  8. Awww, LOVE the 18 month old stage!! So much new discovery. My "baby" is 9 now.
    I came on over from the TGIF Blog Hop. Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're always our "babies". Happily following you back :o)

      Delete
  9. following via blog hop http://joni-holt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete