Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Thanksgiving

We're hosting Thanksgiving this weekend (we Canadians celebrate in October) and well... it should be interesting.  We have an oven that is not as hot as it should be.  I made cookies earlier this week (oh, are they ever good!) and the recipe said 8-10 minutes, took 18 minutes in my oven.  Like I said, should be interesting. 

I've done a few Thanksgivings away from my family and something always seems to go funny. 

The first year Danny and I moved to the Okanagan we had Thanksgiving with his sister.  We were not well prepared for a turkey dinner, mainly we didn't think about a turkey until the day of.  Of course all the stores had left were frozen and we couldn't defrost it fast enough, so we bought a fresh half turkey.  We had no idea what we were doing and badly under cooked the turkey.  Of course we thought it was done so everything else was ready, but when we went to slice up the turkey we realized how wrong we were.  I don't remember the meal itself but I remember we feasted on potato chips until the turkey was done.

The following year Danny and I weren't together and so I had Thanksgiving with my friend Nicole and her boyfriend.  On the Friday we got together to make stuffing and pies.  We goofed on the first patch of pies but nailed it on the second attempt.  Overall it was a good dinner; it was Nicole and my first Thanksgiving without any family.

our turkey

pies!

cookin' the bird



done


table o' food
ignore the "ghost"

our centerpieces

all 3 of them
Federal Agent Jack Bauer (Jack for short) showing us how
we're going to be feeling after dinner

Thanksgiving 2008 was Lynden's first; he was 3 weeks old.  I can't tell you much about dinner.  We were invited to my sister in law's, since we had just had a baby and weren't in the mood to host, and just as dinner was being put on the table Lynden needed to feed.  I went into the living room to feed and everyone forgot I was nursing and ate almost everything.  By the time I was done there was 1 slice of ham, some ceaser salad and potatoes left.  I learned to plate a dish before I nurse so I get to enjoy some dinner too. 

we bought Lynden this Cute denim outfit for Thanksgiving
it was a tad too big for him

I don't recall the following year, although I want to say we hosted it... maybe.  Danny and I were married the weekend before so everything blurs into each other.

Last year Danny was back in the lower mainland and Lynden was visiting with him on Thanksgiving.  So, my downstairs neighbour and I had a roasted chicken with all the fixings.  Quiet and simple, which was perfect being 5 months pregnant. 

This year we've got the whole fam-dam-ily.  There's 15 of us in total and I'm looking forward to it, no matter what my oven may have in store for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment