Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What's Cooking: Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Yesterday was Danny's birthday and we've come up with a plan that allows me to not have to think of that Fantastic gift to give him every year - he gets dinner of his choice (usually a great steak and lobster) and homemade strawberry rhubarb pie (his all time favourite dessert).  We also do a BBQ for him, which is when he gets his dinner, but he asks for his pie on his actual birthday so he doesn't have to share the pie with anyone but me.  You're laughing but it's the honest truth.  Every year I ask him when he wants me to make his pie, for the BBQ or on his actual birthday and he says birthday "so I don't have to share" or "this way I can have it all".  He jokes that he's not going to share with me, but I think know he's secretly hoping I'll say "ok, you can have the whole pie".  Not going to happen.

So, here's the recipe for this deliciously yummy, yet surprisingly easy, dessert.  (I don't remember where I found it but chances are allrecipes.com)

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie:

2 pints strawberries
1 lb. rhubarb
2 pie crusts (I don't make my own, I mean to learn so I can)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 tbsp butter
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp sugar
small bowl of water

1. Cut strawberries (I cut into quarters) and rhubarb (1" cubes).  Toss with flour and sugar.  Let sit for 30 minutes

2. Place filling into pie crust and top with other crust.  Seal edges with water.  Coat top crust with egg yolk, dot with butter and sprinkle with sugar.

3. Bake at 400 for 35 minutes

Enjoy! 

Yes, that's it.  Simply easy and I honestly think you cannot screw this recipe up. 

I always have left over filling so this year I bought tart shells and filled them with the remaining strawberry rhubarb goodness.  I put them in the oven next to the pie and cooked for the same time.  They're delicious too - more proof you can't mess this up.  Next year I might to a loaf too - I'll work my way up each year until I find Danny's breaking point, not that I think there is one.



No comments:

Post a Comment